Thursday, June 30, 2011

Slingin' it up!

I had a friend over to sew a few nights ago, which almost never happens. She makes baby slings and nursing covers for friends, and a little for business by word of mouth, but she's never really gotten into quilting. So I decided to have her instruct me on how to make a baby sling of my own! I'm due in 8 weeks, so the timing is great :) --BTW, I still haven't started the crib bedding.......

I picked out some super cute purples from my stash and got to work:

I snagged up this Pearl Bracelets print from Lizzy House's newest line as soon as it came out, but I had no idea what I'd end up doing with it. I think this was an excellent choice for it :) The sling is lined with Kona Eggplant. You'll have to excuse the no-so-great picture. The sling doesn't fit quite right over my baby bump. Also, the doll was my husband's idea. I tried the sling on by itself and he said it looked like I was just wearing some weird purple Girl Scouts sash or something... Men. 



Anyway, the awesome thing about this sling is that it can be made a bunch of different ways. For instance, mine is reversible:
I think that's a pretty awesome feature! As my mother would say "you get two for the price of one!!"



They don't take long to whip up, so now I'm on a crazy sling-making kick to sell them in my shop :) I know you can Google "baby sling tutorials" and find some free information on making your own, but I felt like some of them didn't show enough pictures of certain steps, and could be a little confusing for an inexperienced sewist. So... I wrote my own :) I'm putting it up on my blog, so give it a look and let me know if you try it out! This is my first attempt at writing a tutorial, so if you feel like its lacking something, or have a suggestion, I'd love to hear from you:) I've put a couple up for sale in the shop, and have fabric on the way to make several more. I've also got to get one made for my friend Darcy who's due any time now with her first baby. I love making things for my friends :) 


I'll leave you today with a few more pics of my giant pregnant self, modeling the other slings I've made... haha!

5 comments:

  1. Fun! Love the slings and fabrics you used for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Parthena, your fabric choices are awesome! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't I know about these 20 years ago? They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering, are they adjustable? Or is that not so easy? Just throwing that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how it's done, but Preston's backpack (which at times can probably weight more than a baby) is adjustable and it's still connected to the bottom part. No loose strap.

    ReplyDelete