Monday, May 23, 2011

A little free motion experiment...

Oh, man... I am not an experienced, fancy-free-motion-er. I want to be, but I'm just not terribly confident in my abilities yet. 

Today, I decided to utilize nap time and get Seeing Squares/Purplicious basted.






That was more difficult than I thought it would be. Apparently I'm pregnant enough that crawling around on the floor safety pinning is a real workout! Once I got it handled, though, I was really itching to start quilting it. I stared at it for a few minutes, and just couldn't visualize a quilting plan that would only use straight lines (my comfort zone). Since the blocks aren't super defined, I imagined there would be lots of starting and stopping, and I didn't want to have to deal with that. So then I got brave, and (inspired by some of Angela's quilting ideas) decided to attempt some free motion. I was a little surprised that I remembered how to set up my darning foot, since I never use it :) 

Once I quilted the first little square-in-a-square piece, I wondered if I had made the right decision... Then I decided that I didn't care what anyone else was going to thing of it, and chose to be brave and just go for it!






I began experimenting with moving the quilt around and creating different stitch patterns in each square. My lines are not perfect. Lots of them aren't even straight. The stitches are not all the same length. But guess what -- I'm actually enjoying playing around with different things!!






I tried some "free" straight lines...





Some pebbling...


Some loops, and a letter E! 


This is going to be a baby quilt for Evan, when she arrives. I'm pretty sure she's not going to be too critical of my stitches :)


I'm actually thinking that my skills should improve, at least a little bit, by the time I finish quilting it. My confidence should be better, if nothing else. I can't expect to get any better if I never try!

3 comments:

  1. It looks great, Caitlin! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it. I am such a coward about it. My free motion is just stipling. But this looks really fun!

    ReplyDelete